Monday, March 17, 2008

coming soon, a bit more words



I haven't had much to say lately, haven't felt like it was necessary. The sources of information on peak energy are varied and broad.

But listen, the globe has been in an age of cheap energy abundance for a century or so, and this is clearly coming to a close. We are left with an infrastructure which can't even produce electricity without fouling the nest, and limited time and capital left to address the situation. For now, all the available latent energy techniques (wind, heat, photons, crust, wave) require massive capital to achieve parity with current production via potable energy. Oil, gas, coal. Awaiting a breakthrough. Waiting. Waiting.

If anyone imagines that I have a taste for blogging much about the idiot scenario that is running now, they would surely be mistaken. I am not that morbid. It isn't as funny anymore. A few years ago I was joking about the salmon going away and now they are almost gone from the warmer southern oceans of North America.

However, I have a few things left to discuss. A few loose ends.

After that, to survive, this blog would certainly need to be recast as a device to conceptually project outward and beyond the troubled times that have sickened the world. Because this new era of chaos is not where the action is, no matter how much the adrenaline is pumping, no matter what the pace of change.

Sound and fury.

2 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, March 23, 2008, Blogger Big Gav said...

Welcome back - I've missed your posts.

I find it funny somehow that everything we were collectively ranting about 3 years ago is coming to pass.

Why this is I'm not sure - but I found I've almost lost interest in the day to day spectacle - its only the future which can capture my attention now...

 
At 11:34 AM, March 23, 2008, Blogger JMS said...

Thanks Big Gav. Yeah, it felt like things were in a holding pattern, and everyone who would come onboard and start commentary - mostly of excellent quality - would need to regress the same themes and topics that had been in play. Totally understandable.

Things are picking up now. Hands will be forced, like a penny Ante gambling game of "guts".

I like the cartoon you posted recently with the man in the suit grabbing corn. That is happening now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home