Tuesday, March 27, 2007

out, filthy baboon!

Baboon Behavior Behind Wind Projects
On a visit to the Kruger National Park in South Africa in 1980, a band of these monkeys (sic, ed) proceeded to attack our vehicle as it drove down a public road. The experience was most threatening since the rabid behavior of these primates attempted to intimidate any human they came across.
...
Much like what is in store for towns that invite in industrial wind developers, the monkey's paw brings with it a terrible outcome. Allowing baboons to enter our communities has already developed a depressed existence for everyone who cares about a balance in the natural order. Taming the monkeys means shipping them out of our neighborhoods. The freak show that the wind developers peddle has Enron written all over it. The promise of local benefits at the price of living with industrial machines is too high for any sensible person to covet. Accepting the allure of the siren's call brings the noise of turbine tyranny. It is analogous to making a bargain with the devil. - - "Sartre"

Though I may wish it, there is nothing I may do to parody this nutball collection of mismatched paragraphs and ideas:

baboons
vicious and bloodthirsty
wind power
terror!!!
wind developers
monkey's paw
the devil (also, enron)
sartre!!!

Aghast, having thought I already soaked the humor from this particular bunch, (read here) I can only add that if you are a humble citizen of Cohocton, and you run across this "Sartre" character while gadding about,

- please assume he is armed, dangerous, and mad as a hatter. Packing sweaty, hairy palms.

I do understand the hesitation of some to allow wind turbines to be plopped down in pastoral farm settings which have existed for centuries. There is a contrast to the West side of the continent, as opposed to New York, in which endless miles of empty space which stand to be substantially prettified with wind turbines. In some cases, they might well be built around the bones of derelict stripper wells and natural gas piping.

Oh, how the aesthetes must have moaned, when the first paved roads were put in. And maybe they were right. Change is nonetheless rushing in like maglev train, and this is in large part due to the culture of energy dependance which we in the western world have constructed. The blight we have for so long deferred and channeled along the interstate has now landed, finally, in our own back yards.

If these wind turbines truely are a blight, they are just deserts. We could - and have - done worse.


"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD! Can't you hear them? Can't you see the crowds? Oh, my beloved ice cream bar. How I love to lick your creamy center! And your oh-so-nutty chocolate covering! You're not like the others, you like the same things I do! Wax paper, boiled football leather- DOG BREATH! We're not hitch-hiking anymore! We're riding!... Oh no! I know what you want! You've coveted my ice cream bar! No you don't! You can't take it from me now! I've had it ever since I was a child. Everywhere I go, people always try to take it from me! Why won't they leave.. me.. ALOOONNNNNE!!!"

2 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, March 28, 2007, Blogger SARTRE said...

If you believe that industrial wind turbines is PROGRESS, you are the one who is mad! Do the economics . . . The fraud is the next Enron scam. If your inability to understand the scope and significance of the issue, your own brainpower has long ago hit its peal.

SARTRE

 
At 1:47 AM, March 29, 2007, Blogger JMS said...

Do the...

Ok provide some references.

My basic understanding of wind power is high capital cost upfront, followed by steady production and low maintenance costs compared to other forms of energy generation.

Are baboons involved?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home