Thursday, December 23, 2004

dark musings and I feel fine

DarkSyde elegantly wove some of the peak themes into an essay here.

There is definitely a gloomy side to our collective peak energy musings, and I am often struck by reactions to it.

To wit, friends and family: Ignore the issue, or put it safely out into the future. Peak oil? Reasonable, but we're gonna be jes fine until 2015. Any attempts to push the date up, say, to next year, I start to get eyeballs on me like I have a scraggly beard and a 'End of the World' sign.

A holistic view of the world, by which I mean as unmuddled and complete as possible, makes me happy, no matter how serious the issue. 6 billion to die next century? They were gonna die anyways, and me with 'em.

If Kunstler is right, and this year is the last blowout ...

I for one am going to enjoy it.


1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, December 27, 2004, Blogger JMS said...

Thanks DS, your essay in turn spurred a few more thoughts which I will disgorge - some time later this week!

Cheers,
js

 

Post a Comment

<< Home